Thursday 6 March 2014

Through the Breach

Wow, it has been a LOOONG time since I last posted on this blog, and a lot has happened in that time. For starters, the two biggest and most relevant to mention are that:

a) I no longer work for Games Workshop;
b) I now live in Blackpool. 





So what have I been up to in all this time? Firstly, I sold off an awful lot of my Games Workshop miniatures upon leaving the company. Without the storage space at the Epsom store, I simply had more stuff than I could fit. This means I now have only my Skaven, my Daemons of Nurgle and my Beastmen left, along with some models from 'The Hobbit', Dreadfleet, my BFG fleet and BloodBowl Teams. 

That's right. No 40k. 



This also means I've expanded outwards into other systems too. Partly due to being free to discover the world of wargames miniatures, partly due to wanting smaller games with fewer models for storage reasons. 

My first port of call was Malifaux. 


Children of December

I was drawn to Wyrd Miniatures' steampunk/horror skirmish game like a moth to a flame. First of all, the game doesn't use dice; it uses a Fate Deck (a 54 card poker deck). No dice? What is this madness?? Simply put, one of the greatest ideas ever. This mechanic, central to Malifaux's gameplay, allows you to cheat the game, and is unbelievably more tense than D6 rolling. 


No Shelter Here

The game itself is much more strategic too. You don't pick your 'crew' until you know what Faction your opponent is playing - even at tournaments; this confused me at first and surprised me. It's genius. 

You're also less likely to win by going all-out Kill Everything (unless that's your chosen Scheme or Strategy for the game) than you are by actually following the mission objectives. 


The Rail Crew

As you can see from the photos, I've gone a little bit Malifaux crazy. I'll go more in depth some other time, but I currently own all the plastic crews for both the Arcanist and the Neverborn factions, so if I take those to a tournament, I've got all kinds of options up my sleeves. 

I'll finish this post with some pictures of the other crews I have finished painting. I'll have a proper look at the models and the painting etc soon. 

Dark Debts

Claw & Fang

Mother of Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment