Wednesday 3 July 2013

Decisions, decisions, decisions...


When this post publishes, it will be exactly four weeks until the Warhammer Invasion

Games Workshop Epsom, Sutton, Croydon, Bromley, Kensington, Chiswick and Putney will all be sending Warhammer players up to Nottingham for an event day, similar to a inter-store Tournament.

Firstly, I can't wait. I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

Secondly, I still don't know which 1500 point army I want to take up!


So, here's the dilemma. I'm going up with my store to compete. I have my own ticket, the day is booked off work etc... But I'm not certain what I want to get out of it, and each army presents its own perks for the day. I've included links that jump to the models.



Obviously, I have my Skaven army. My Clan Skryre breakaway force. This list utilises no units larger than 10 models, and as a Skaven player, I'm told that's insane. Why do I do it? Simply put, to maximise the amount of weapons teams, war machines and other crazy contraptions I can have. A minimum sized unit of 20 Clanrats cost 80 points, before adding a weapons team. Stormvermin are ten models minimum, and cost 70 points before the weapons team. Essentially, the army theme is "How many artillery dice can I roll each turn?"

When this army works, it is absolutely devastating. Most of it ignores armour, is high strength and hits a lot of models. However, it is somewhat prone to suddenly exploding, and panic tests usually chain across the board, resulting in the vast majority of my army fleeing. This means one missfire, wizard miscast or lucky round of enemy shooting/magic, and my army can be wiped out in one turn.

The point? No matter which way of that spectrum it goes, it's hilarious.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm going to need to tweak this army to include a banner or two else I lose automatically if "Blood and Glory" is one of the games...



Secondly, I have my Beastmen army. For the style I play and the characters I use, I'd need to add a few bits to this army to make a functional 1500 point list. I'd need a couple of chariots, and to finish painting the big unit of Gors that I use. Whilst I'm not averse to this, I'm unsure of the new dynamic it would give my army - I'm not sure how it would play out.

On the plus side, it's an excuse to finish my Beastmen and add a couple of new models to it, and to turn up to a tournament and show the doubters that you can win battles with Beastmen. 



Finally, I've recently been working on my Daemons of Chaos army, where everything is Nurgle. Recently, this got a thematic shift by repurposing an old plastic Skaven Plague Priest (from the Screaming Bell kit) as a Herald of Nurgle. This follows on the story from my Clan Skryre Skaven list (who have developed a way to purify warpstone to a higher energy state, hence they have blue warpstone), with a Clan Pestilens priest who has stolen some of the energised warpstone and has used it to successfully summon forth Daemons of Plague!

Thematicly, I really enjoy this army, and I only have two Plague Drones to finish for it. I really enjoy the models and the theme and the story, and I'm really proud of how the army looks. However, the games I've played with it have been brutal.

I need to decide if I'm going to compete, or if I'm really going to just have fun and watch some Skaven explode, or if I'm just going to risk trying something new.

Any thoughts or opinions? Drop 'em into the comments below or talk to me on Twitter: @BKellyCS

No comments:

Post a Comment